Masala Dosa is a popular South Indian dish made with a fermented batter of rice and lentils. The batter is spread on a hot griddle to form a thin, crispy crepe, which is then filled with a spicy potato filling. Here is a recipe for making delicious Masala Dosa at home.
- 2 cups of parboiled rice
- 1 cup of split black lentils (urad dal)
- 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
For the potato filling:
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dal
- 1 tsp of chana dal
- 1 tsp of grated ginger
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice and lentils in separate bowls for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the water from the rice and grind it to a fine batter using a blender or food processor. Add some water as needed to make a smooth batter. Do the same with the lentils.
- Mix the two batters together, add fenugreek seeds and salt, and set aside in a warm place to ferment overnight.
- The next day, the batter should have risen and have a fermented smell. Mix it well and add water if needed to achieve a pouring consistency.
- Heat a non-stick griddle on medium flame. Take a ladleful of batter and pour it on the center of the griddle. Using the back of the ladle, spread the batter in a circular motion to form a thin crepe.
- Drizzle some oil around the edges of the dosa and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden brown.
- Flip the dosa over and cook for another minute. Remove from the griddle and keep it aside.
- To make the potato filling, heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter, add the cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal, and grated ginger.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies, and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the mashed potatoes, salt, and coriander leaves, and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the filling is heated through.
- To assemble the Masala Dosa, take a cooked dosa and place a spoonful of the potato filling on one half of the dosa.
- Fold the other half over the filling to make a semi-circle.
- Serve the Masala Dosa hot with coconut chutney or sambar on the side.
delicious Masala Dosa
Enjoy the delicious Masala Dosa with your family and friends. You can also try experimenting with different fillings like masala, paneer, or vegetables for variety.
For more recipes visit adguidner.